By Ryan Clark | March 28, 2007
WWE's WrestleMania 23 press conference at Trump Tower in New York City ended a few moments ago. A quick recap of the event as follows:
- They played the video package that has been on TV in the last week or so with "celebrities" commenting on whether it will be Vince or Trump who get shaved bald on Sunday, then aired packages to hype the Cena-Michaels, Trump-McMahon and Batista-Undertaker matches, with short 'All Grown Up' videos inbetween, featuring Batista, Bobby Lashley, Shawn Michaels and John Cena.
- After more Trump-McMahon hype, a trailer for 'The Condemned' is shown, before we eventually cut live to Trump Tower where The Coach opens things up. There's a LOT of people there (both media and fans), especially compared to the usual numbers these "press conferences" get.
- The Coach says that over 5,000 will see the premiere of The Condemned this weekend ahead of the Hall of Fame ceremony, before over 70,000 will attend WrestleMania 23 at Ford Field. He introduces John Cena as the first wrestler to take the stage.
- Cena got a mixed ovation from those looking on - screams from the females, boos from the NYC males. To be expected I guess. Cena said "this (referring to the reaction) is what makes WrestleMania great" as a HBK chant breaks out. Short promo, saying he'd be at his best for Sunday and that "we" are on the verge of something great. He made references to WrestleMania III which got a pop. Similar promo to the one he cut this past Monday on RAW. Good stuff.
- Next up, Coach introduced Shawn Michaels. It seemed like a mixed reaction for Michaels also (although my audio feed wasn't the best, so hard to be accurate there). Michaels said he couldn't sing like Cena, or act, but that nobody else in WWE has performed at WrestleMania like he has over the year. He said whatever happens the other 364 days of the year, on WrestleMania day, he was going to steal the show, and would make Cena famous.
- Melina was next up, who Coach introduced as "a Hollywood A-lister". Pretty basic "I'm going to leave WrestleMania as Champion" promo which was kept short (or cut short). The crowd weren't really into it. She was followed by Ashley Massaro, who got a decent pop (is it just me who doesn't "get" her?). She said she was thrilled to be there, and to be part of WrestleMania. She said she'll bring blood, sweat and tears to the match on Sunday, and warned Melina to be ready for the fight of her life on Sunday.
- Batista was the next star to take the stage. A staredown with Shawn Michaels was teased before Dave started to talk with chants for the Undertaker in the background. He said he didn't feel like talking, so would keep it short. He said at WrestleMania, he'll end Undertaker's unbeaten 'Mania streak, and he was going to spend the rest of the press conference thinking of ways to "dismantle" him. Crowd really didn't care much for the promo at all.
- Coach introduced the new Miss USA (Rachel Smith). No reaction at all for her other than one girl sat front row who clapped. Smith sat down next to her. Pointless.
- The attention turned to the 'Battle of the Billionaires' next. Coach explained to anybody who has been under a rock for a couple of months that Lashley and Umaga will represent Trump and McMahon respectively. McMahon was then introduced. He told of how this was WWE's annual Superbowl or Oscars, and said that WrestleMania was a "variety show" of sorts, with athleticism, soap opera and more. The crowd were doing the "What?" chants, but Vince was trying to stay of character at times, and laughed it off.
Jim Ross Blogs About James Storm Coming To WWE, Seth Rollins' Booking, Brock Lesnar Vs. Undertaker
Seth Rollins - ESPN Video, Rollins Thanks Coach, Zahra And Rollins Visit The Squared Circle
WWE Star Busted Open At SmackDown, What Happened After Tapings, Seth Rollins, Bella Contests
Details On WWE's New Partnership With ESPN, Seth Rollins Appears With Coach On SportsCenter
The Rock Tweets With Wrestling Stars, The Bella Twins On WWE Main Event, Booker T's ROW Video
Backstage Talk On John Cena Possibly Filming A New Project During His Time Away From WWE
Becky Lynch On WWE Divas Main Eventing Pay-Per-Views, Her Passion For Pro Wrestling, More
WWE Monday Night RAW Results - Seth Rollins Vs. Kane, John Cena Defends, Paige, More
Reason For John Cena Taking Time Away From WWE Revealed?
Dolph Ziggler Talks Nikki Bella Drama, If He Is Concerned About John Cena Being Upset
** SPOILERS ** WWE SmackDown Results For This Week
Lana Addresses Reports Of Her Engagement To Rusev, Dolph Ziggler's Reaction, Summer Rae