By Ryan Gray | April 23, 2008
- Howard Stern says he would not vote for a President of the United States that watches wrestling. Seems like a strange thing for Stern to say. Apparently, Stern has a very low opinion of the wrestling business. Now that's irony coming from Stern, who is one of the last guys I thought would have an antiquated, wrestling bias.
- I mentioned here last week that I thought it was a sound, promotional idea for the American Presidential candidates to appear on Monday Night Raw in some form, but I will admit that I was shocked when Clinton,Obama , and McCain all recorded messages specifically for the Raw audience. On the eve of the all important Pennsylvania primary, the Democratic hopefuls got the opportunity to be "regular Joe's" as did McCain who looks to have the Republican nomination for President locked up. None of them should quit their day jobs and look for work in 'rasslin, but they all seemed to be good sports in their recorded, cliche laden spiels.
- Some wrestling pundits really slammed the "match" between the impersonators posing as Hillary and Barack. I am not sure what folks expectations were for this "contest," but it was, plain and simple, nothing more than a publicity stunt that did garner a great deal of pub the week of a WWE pay per view. The WWE made air on media outlets that would never mention the WWE unless there was a tragedy or a scandal. While the "match" was not my personal cup of tea, it did not last long enough to offend me and I sort of got a kick out of the ovationUmaga received when he came to the ring to put an end to the frivolity.
- The added stipulation to the Fatal 4 Way WWE Title bout at Backlash, making it "Elimination Rules," is a good thing in my view. I like the fact that there could technically be three, separate eliminations before one man is left to claim the WWE Title.
- If you don't think HBK won't do all he can to "steal the show" Sunday night in Baltimore you might want to think again. The Michaels vs. Batista match has evolved nicely since WM24 and is arguably the most talked about match at Sunday's PPV. Following this one won't be easy.
- Joey Styles told me Monday in catering, no jokes please, that he was really enjoying his new gig at www.wwe.com. Joey seemed to be the most relaxed and comfortable that I have seen him since coming to work at the WWE. Joey has already instituted several changes to the WWE website with plenty more on their way. Joe said he was now a "retired announcer" and budding corporate executive. Styles is looking forward to the OKC RAW on June 30, as he considers himself a connoisseur of "Q" after living in Atlanta, and Joey knows his sacue…J.R.'s Bar-B-Q Sauce that is….and is planning on eating at one of our restaurants while he is in town.
You can JR's latest in its entirety by at jrsbarbq.com.
TNA Re-Signs Another Tag Team Star
Live WINC Podcast At 10 PM EST: Ryback, Enzo Update, NXT, ROH Global Wars, NJPW, Darren Young, More
Jeanie Clark / Lady Blossom Talks Coming Up With The 'Stone Cold' Nickname, Chyna's Death, More
Major Names Set For Next Week's Episode Of NXT, No Way Jose Promo, Samoa Joe Stat, More
Steve Austin To Address Why He's Not Hosting Shane McMahon WWE Podcast
Lucha Underground Results: Women's "I Quit" Main Event, Dario, Catrina, More
WWE NXT Recap (5/4): Former TNA Champion Debuts And Faces Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, No Way Jose
Gabe Sapolsky On EVOLVE's Relationship With WWE, Triple H And The WWE GCS, Safety In The Ring
WWE Monday Night RAW Results - Big Six-Man Main Event, Contenders Battle Royal, Ambrose Asylum, More
** SPOILERS ** WWE SmackDown Tapings For This Week
Spoiler: WWE Superstar Getting Re-Packaged, Partnering With A WWE Hall Of Famer
WWE Superstar Sent Home After Big Contract Dispute
More On Enzo Amore's Concussion From WWE Payback
Ryback Publishes Lengthy Blog On His WWE Status, Being Sent Home, Meeting With Vince McMahon, More
Former Stable Partners Wrestling On Tonight's WWE RAW?, Backstage Note On Emma Vs. Becky Lynch
Photo: Enzo Amore, Big Cass And Kevin Owens At The Hospital