As I ask each year, please e-mail any announcements about scheduled Holiday charitable-themed (fund-raisers for clothes, food pantries or Toys for Toys) wrestling or MMA events to email@example.com.
First, a report on the events of the Cage of Death 13 doubleheader:
As the afternoon warm-up event for Combat Zone Wrestling's thirteenth annual Cage of Death; CZW, Big Japan Pro Wrestling DDT, K-Dojo, and FREEDOMS presented the International Indie Summit at the historic ECW Arena.
The Toys for Tots collection went on all day, with hundreds of toys being donated by the day's end for the children of the Delaware Valley.
* DDT's Danshuku Dino defeated DJ Hyde with the Danshuku Driver. Dino does a quasi-exotico gimmick; and he pulled it...er, the gimmick... out and then some.
* Sabian and Joker defeated Devon Moore and FREEDOM's KAMUI after Sabian and Joker pinned KAMUI with the Kings Swing.
* Sami Callihan retained his CZW Junior Heavyweight title over Yoshihito Sasaki by submitting him after Stretch Muffler was turned ito a modified ankle lock.
* *FREEDOMs' Takashi Sasaki and K-Dojo's Kengo Mashimo defeated Drake Younger and MASADA after Mashimo submitted Younger tap out to an armbar.
Post-match, Drake Younger and MASADA did the sportsmanlike handshake bit, noly to get stomped by Sasaki and Mashimo.
* In a three-way dance, Dick Togo takes on DDT's KUDO and Takanashi, with KUDO pinning Takanashi with a double knees on Takanashi who hung off the top rope ala the"the tree of woe" The crowd gave Togo a great ovation, given that tonight would be his last show in the historic ECW Arena; with many remembering his Michinoku Pro six-man match at the 1997 ECW Barely Legal PPV with Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada, and Masato Yakushiji defeating Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy, and Togo.
* The main event was a Shattered Dreams match (panes of glass in every corner) with Big Japan's Jaki Numazawa and FREEDOMs' "Crazy Monkey" Jun Kasai defeating Big Japan's Ryuji Ito and CZW's Danny Havoc by pinfall when Ito frogsplashed Numazawa for the pin. This was the expected sick, twisted and bloody match with glass all over the place, and bloodied chests and backs galore.
Then there was the nightcap.
Welcome to your yearly installment of Combat Zone Wrestling's version of "Apocalyse Now" meets "Passion of the Christ"... better known as the thirteenth annual Cage of Death last night before a packed, and I do mean, packed house at the historic ECW Arena.
Pre-show, Eddie Kingston and Vin Gerard got in a fight (presumably worked) outside The Arena. Gerard then got in line for Cage of Death, with what looks like the beginning of a Brian Pillman-type "not part of the show" campaign to work Eddie Kingston, including stopping me during COD and asking me to post that he "would wrestle Kingston in any promotion, even outside of CHIKARA".
The Honor Guard of United States Marines (in full Marine dress blues), which included a Staff Sergeant who had sttod done it at Cage of Death 11, did tours of duty in Afghanistan, and asked to come back to work this event; stood at the multiple toy boxes at the door of The Arena with people handing over toys from seemingly every direction at some points as trhe crowd came in. The Toys for Tots collection went on all day, with hundreds of toys being donated by the day's end for the children of the Delaware Valley.
* Jake Crist successfully defended the CZW Wired TV title against brother Dave in the Cage of Death opener by pinfall after a super flipping piledriver.
* In the two out of three falls tables match: BLK OUT (Ruckus, Alex Colon and Chrissy Rivera) defeated The Runaways and Kimber Lee vs First fall, saw The Runaways put Chrissy through a table with a blockbuster/powerbomb combo. Second fall saw Colon enzuigir Joe Gacy off rhe apronl through a table on the floor. BLK OUT won when Ruckus puts Kimberlee through a table with a Falcon Arrow off the apron and to the floor. Kimberlee took some hellacious bumps and actually looked fairly good in the ring.
* In the siz-man scramble match, Drew Gulak defeated Derek Frazier, Ryan McBride, tHURTeen, Alex Payne and Dustin Rayz with the winner to gets a CZW title shot "in the future". Dustin Rayz was reported to have broken his femur after landing bad on a twisting moonsault to the floor. Drew Blood beats up Frazier and suicide dives onto him! Gulak pins McBride earning a CZW title shot. Post-match, DJ Hyde "fired Drew Blood", then scheduled Ryan McBride vs Derek Frazier for January.
* Drake Younger, again returning to a loud pop, beat the living crap out of Rory Mondo finishing with a top rope copkiller through a chair.
* in the eight-man Japanese tag match, Everyone from Indie Summit except Togo is involved. Big Japan's Jaki Numazawa, Yoshihito Sasak, DDT's Masahiro Takanashi, and FREEDOM's KAMUI vs. RYUJI ITO, Takashi Sasaki, K-Dojo's Kengo Mashimo and DDT's Danshoku Dino after FREEDOM's Takashi Sasakii pinned KAMUI. Lots more Dino exotico comedy throughout the match.
* Philly's Most Wanted (Sabian/Joker) went to a non contest against Homicide and Eddie Kingston. Late in the match Philly's Most Wanted is about to go over when Maven Bentley stops the referee from counting a pinfall by Sabian.Not exactly appreciative, Eddie Kingston backfists Maven Bentley out of the ring, follwoed by a Homicide lariat on referee Bret Lauderdale, which got one of the night's better pops. Lauderdale then calls for bell, which the crowd crapped all over. Meanwhile, post-match, Eddie Kingston sees Vin Girard jumps the rail and chases him oiut of the building.
* Sami Callihan successfully defended the CZW Junior Heavyweight Title against AR Fox with a Stretch Muffler. Post- match, DJ Hyde came out post-match, and says he's booked Sami Callihan vs Tommy Dreamer for the CZW Indianapolis show in February on Super Bowl Sunday.
* In an ultraviolet pits match (board of spikes and a pit of thumbtacks) , Matt Tremont defeated Danny Havoc by pinfall after interference by Gulak and Mr. Tofiga. In a scary moment, Tremonts boot got stuck in the nail board. Tremont challenges Gulak for the January show.
* Greg Excellent defeated DJ Hyde in a no DQ match, with the stips being if Excellent wins, Hyde has to "give him three wishes", and if Hyde wins, Excellen leaves CZW. After a while, the run-in parade begins, as Kylie Pierce takes down DJ, then breaks up Excellent's pin, as if to say "Can't you two just stop?". DJ Hyde thanks her for her interest by spearing her. Then comes, Mia Yim whoe suplexes Excellent on his head. Kick out. Excellent proceeds to do his Hulk Hogan impression as Hogan's "Real American". Excellent makes with the big boot and legdrop, but unlike WWF, Hyde DID kick out of the legdrop of doom. Then, comes Greg Excellents mother (who is actually his mother who works with him in running the Ground Breaking Wrestling promotion in central Pennsylvania), who was last seen being nailed with a Tiger Driver by Excellent several months ago. Mom makes as if she's on DJ Hyde' side, then nails Hydfe with a charishot and a stunner.. Hyde kicks out. Then "Youth Gone WIld" cranks up, and the fans go crazy as Zandig runs in, nails Hyde with the spinning lariat, and Excellent finally pins him.
Then, Cage of Death...
This year's edition, as you can see above, was a combination of suspended cage sides, glass panels, and barbed wire...and ladders reaching to a platform at the top of the Arena, with the CZW World Heavyweight Title belt hanging off of the top of the Arena.
The Cage of Death main event (with ladder match rules) saw Devon Moore retaining his CZW Heavyweight Title (in a major surprise to everyone in the crowd) over MASADA, Scotty Vortekz and Robert Anthony. Highlights include Scotty Vortekz being peeled out of the barbed wire on the side of the ring, while stomped on by fellow Nation of Intoxication member Devon Moore...Robert Anthony back first into a pane of glass... ..sickening headbutts by Scotty Vortekz and Devon Moore ...Stereo power bombs through glass panes by MASADA on Devon Moore and Anthony on Vortekz, onto a leaning supported side of the cage...Devon Moore spearing Anthony off of the upper frame of the Cage....Vortekz fighting for position on the platform on the top of the side of the cage, throwing MASADA off the side.... Anthony powerbombing Vortek though a pane of glass on the side of the Cage, falling to the Arena floor.
The finish saw MASADA and Devon Moore going up opposite ladders to the platform just below the Title Belt hanging off of the top of the Arena. Both reach the belt. but the belt drops, just so Robert Anthony comes back into the ring, reaches through the cage, but Moore falls through the ceiling and just barely reaches the belt first to retain the title.
Post-match, DJ Hyde called for the cameras to be turned off, which cut the iPPV feed. Hyde went out of character, was clearly happy with the show, put over all four workers in Cage 9of Death and the CZW locker room...then announced CZW will return on Saturday, January 14 in a double header with EVOLVE at The Asylum Arena in Philadelphia.
Now, onto the events coming up.
Chicago's Chicago Style Wrestling will do its Toys for Tots show on December 9th at the Pyramid Club, 236 West Lake Street, Addison, IL (doors open 7:00pm/8:00 pm belltime). Admission is one unwrapped toy.
Zero1 Pro Wrestling USA Brew City returns on Friday, December 9 with "Headlock For Hunger" at the Knights of Columbus, 1800 S. 92 St. in West Allis, WI. Bell time is 7:30pm, doors open at 6:30pm and tickets are $15. There will be baskets at the front door for Food For Families with St. Aloysius Parish in West Allis. This is the time of year where unfortunate families are in need through these struggling times. See it in your heart to help them. Please bring a non-perishable food item for those in need for the Holidays. Featured match is a Zero1 Pro Wrestling USA Midwest Championship match with "King of Old School" Steve Corino (C) vs.- Cadillac" Nick Colucci. Go to
brewcitywrestling1.com for more information.
AIWF Mid-Atlantic Wrestling and FOX-8 Gifts For Kids present A NIGHT FOR THE KIDS 4 on FRIDAY, December 9 at the National Guard Armory in Lexington, NC. Bell time is at 7:30pm.
DOUBLE MAIN EVENT/AIWF WORLD TITLE MATCH
"Sudden Impact" Louis Moore vs "Handsome" Jimi Love
SIX MAN TAG TEAM GRUDGE MATCH
"Mr. #1" George South & AIWF Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champions Notorious (Drake Tungsten & Matt Houston) vs Rob" Boogie Woogie Man" McBride, "The Original Rock" Rocky King, and a MYSTERY PARTNER
Also on the card: Scrap Yard Dog vs Ooga Booga, Chuck King, Tank Lawson, "Terrific" Tony, Sheik Bullard, Jersey Kid, Jimmy Jannetty, Jody Osborne, Jenny Jannetty, and more of your favorite AIWF stars. Admission is $8 or a new unwrapped toy.
Xtreme Christmas is the first event for Full Throttle Action as they start their venture into the wrestling world with a Toys for Tots event on December 10 in Shawnee Oklahoma. Come support Drake Gallows, Bobby Star, Chris Morrison, Tyson Jaymes, John E. Stone, Kareem Sadat, Heartland Wrestling Association Stars Ron Mathis, Devon Maximus, HWA and Guiness Book of World Record Holders American Kickboxer II, Sid Fabulous and many others in action.
Matches already announced:
1-2 Dark Matches for VIP Ticket holders only
Nathan Wright Vs Lil Joe
Sid Fabulous Vs Crossfire Chris Morrison
American Kickboxer II Vs Drake Gallows
#1 Contendership for the Full Throttle Action Championship
Rick Russo Vs Se7en Vs Maniac Mike Vs Carnage
Main Event Triple Threat Tag Team Match for the Dual Action Championship
Adrenaline X Vs Clockwork Clique/Stars of Chaos (Bobby Star & Chris Chaos Vs ???
Spin the Wheel Make the Deal Match
John E. Stone Vs The Oklahoma Hardcore Legend Kareem Sadat
Delaware's Power Pro Wrestling, who presents Over The Top For Toys for Tots on Saturday, December 10 at the Ellendale Fire Department Hall in Ellendale, DE with a 7:00 pm belltime, featuring Shane Douglas and the Briscoe Brothers.
Championship Wrestling Overload will be at the Centennial Center in Milledgeville, GA, on December 10, for a Toys for Tots fundraiser. Advertised: Joel Deaton & Terry Lawler vs. the Beautiful Bald Sensations (Michael Hirsch & Zac Edwards, w/ Destiny Destruction); and Power Trip (Swole & Chris Nelms, w/ CWO owner KSL) vs. Team CWO (Twisted & Fatality, w/ Tony Taylor) in a match for control of CWO, with Melissa Brown as referee. Tickets are $7 for adults, $4 children 6-12, $4 college student with college ID, and free for children under 6 with a paid adult. Bring in a new unwrapped toy and receive $2 off an adult ticket. Doors open at 7:30 and bell time is at 8:00. For more information, call (706) 816-9630.
The North Georgia Wrestling Alliance will be at the Buffington Elementary School Gym in Canton, GA, on December 10, for Toys for Tots. Advertised: Marko Polo vs. Shane Marx, with the winner challenging Leatherface for the NGWA Championship in the main event; Pandora vs. Tiffany Roxx; plus Chip Day, Mason, Brian Lawler, the Vandal, Brian Blaze, De La Vega, Geeter, Shanon Dumass, Lobo, the Washington Bullets, and more. Tickets are $7 adult and $3 children under 7. Doors open at 6:30 and bell time is at 8:00. Bring in a new unwrapped toy that will go to the children of Cherokee County. For more information, call (678) 749-0766.
South Carolina Wrestling holds a Toys for Tots event on December 10 at the Little River Multicultural Complex 415 Riley Road North, Hodges, SC.
Christian Premier Wrestling is working with Toys for Tots to bring Christmas to the area's needy children. To donate new toys, drop them off at either Chicken Run in Jackson, GA, or at the Sardis Baptist Church in McDonough, GA. Please wrap the gifts and mark the following on the gift: Boy or Girl and age (infant-5 years old or 6-9 years old or 10-12 years old).
North American Wrestling will hold NAW Season''s Beatings in Fresno, CA at the Fresno Super Mall, 1050 W. Olive Avenue, Fresno, CA on Saturday, December 17 (3:00 pm belltime). For information, go to North American Wrestling's Facebook page.
Until next time...kely dark matches.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.