ROH Claims Kenny King Violated Verbal Agreement By Wrestling On Impact


ROH released the following statement regarding ROH World Tag Team Champion co-holder Kenny King wrestling on Impact tonight:

The appearance of ROH wrestler Kenny King on another television wrestling program tonight has raised speculation on his future as well as how this appearance could occur.

The contract Kenny King signed in June 2011 expired 11 days ago. Before that expiration, an agreement was reached between Kenny and ROH management for an extension of that contract, with a provision to allow him to negotiate with any other promotions so that he could evaluate his options and any potential interest in him elsewhere. When that short extension concluded he would then be free to accept an offer elsewhere, or sign another long term contract with ROH. Under this agreement, Kenny was free to negotiate but not to wrestle for another organization without ROH's permission.

When Kenny was presented with the written extension reflecting this verbal and handshake agreement, he informed ROH he was unsure if other promotions would accept the negotiation clause. He was told he could take the document to be examined by his attorney or other interested parties before executing it to be reassured any other offers would not be viewed as contract tampering. He also informed ROH that he would keep us apprised of any developments.

He contacted ROH on Tuesday July 3 to inform us that he had a meeting in Orlando on Thursday, July 5, which was within the scope of the agreement he had made. Then, early morning on July 5, he contacted an ROH official to say he would be wrestling on the Orlando event that night. He was told he did not have permission to appear live on television as it violated the agreement that had been made. His response was that the deal he had shaken hands on and agreed to in principle "seemed fair at the time", but "others" had told him it was not, so he did not intend to honor it.

Ring of Honor is disappointed that Kenny has chosen to make this decision, after the company had agreed to and followed through on everything he had asked for at the time of our negotiation. However, we consider this breach of his verbal agreement unacceptable, and regardless of his future employment status with any other wrestling company, ROH will not be doing business with Kenny King going forward.

A statement from ROH will be forthcoming regarding the future of the ROH World Tag Team Championship. Co-holder Rhett Titus remains on the active ROH roster.

Emmanuel Obi and Meg contributed to this article. Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.

Author's link:
Fightline - Dana White Regrets Not Doing Fedor Vs. Lesnar >>

WrestlingInc.com is the largest independently owned wrestling website in the world (Source: Alexa). Become a fan on Facebook, follow us (@WrestlingInc) on Twitter:

« Previous Headline | Comment | Main | Next Headline »

AROUND THE WEB

[ Posting Rules | Ranks & Titles ]
blog comments powered by Disqus [ Posting Rules | Ranks & Titles ]