|By Marc Middleton | August 19, 2012 | Comments|
- The 2012 WWE SummerSlam pre-show kicks off with Matt Striker and Scott Stanford at ringside. They plug tonight's pre-show match as fans continue to pile into the Staples Center in Los Angeles. More hype for tonight's matches. We go to a video for the WWE Title match.
- Josh Mathews is backstage with Big Show. Show cuts him off and says tonight isn't a Triple Threat. The only threat in the match is him. Show says he's a living, breathing, angry giant - not some made up Hollywood super hero. Show says he's a threat to any living man today. Show says he will crush John Cena and obliterate CM Punk, then become the new WWE Champion.
WWE United States Title Match: Antonio Cesaro vs. Santino Marella
We go to the ring and out first comes Antonio Cesaro with Aksana. Aksana takes the mic and cuts a promo before the match. She has Antonio say "great" in five different languages. Cesaro says he personifies greatness and they kiss. Out next comes the WWE United States Champion Santino Marella.
The match starts off with some back and forth. Cesaro takes Santino to the corner and beats him down. Santino dodges a splash in the corner and pulls out the Cobra early. Cesaro hits him from behind and stop the Cobra from coming out. Cesaro goes back to work on Santino and beats him with headbutts. 2 count for Cesaro.
More offense by Cesaro and another 2 count. Cesaro keeps a headlock applied. The Cobra was down on the floor but a crew member has put it on the apron. Santino crawls for it but Cesaro pulls him back. Santino kicks off him and tries for it again but Cesaro hits a big gutwrench slam. Cesaro grabs the Cobra and rips it to shreds. Santino flips out and unloads on Cesaro. Santino misses the headbutt. Cesaro goes for his finisher but it's countered. Santino pulls out a back-up Cobra. Aksana tries to distract him and it works. Cesaro with the front piledriver for the win and the title.
Winner and New WWE United States Champion: Antonio Cesaro
- Triple H is backstage getting ready. Referee Scott Armstrong is in there with him. Triple H says this is the biggest match he will ever referee. Triple H says this is bigger than him, it's about WWE - Scott's family and everything. Triple H says referee's discretion means they can bend the rules, hell even break them. Triple H says this match won't end in a count out or DQ. He says someone wins by making the other tap out or getting the pin. Armstrong nods that he understands. Triple H promises him this is going to be a fight to the finish. Triple H tells Scott to let them fight.
- The announcers hype Lesnar vs. Triple H some more as fans continue to enter the arena. Striker and Stanford hype the other matches for SummerSlam.
- The 2012 WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view kicks off with a look back at 25 years of SummerSlam. We get a look at the Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H match.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
Ring Of Honor TV Results (4/25): Tag Team Championship, Huge Debut In ROH, Moose In Action
CM Punk Comments On Wrestling Again, His New Projects, AJ Pregnancy Rumors, Awkward Matches, More
Update On Daniel Bryan's Status For WWE Extreme Rules, Big E. Note
WWE Creative Reaction To Dana White Comments, WWE Looks At Edge Vs. Rollins, NXT Change, Fury
Steve Austin Speaks On His WWE Status After Recent Trademark Issue With T-Shirts
Renee Young's New WWE Show Premiering This Week, Network Exclusive To Air, Extreme Rules
Cameron On If Melina Vs. Alicia Fox Is Still Her Favorite Match, Tough Enough Audition Videos, Kane
Triple H Talks Relationship With Vince McMahon, His Backstage Duties For WWE, More
Three More WWE NXT Wrestlers Cut
WWE Releases Two NXT Wrestlers
TNA Impact Wrestling Results: Kurt Angle Destroyed, Kong Vs. Terrell, Mickie James' Announcement
Goldberg Says He'll Wrestle Again, Comments On If It Will Be For WWE