|By Raj Giri||November 01, 2012 | Comments|
Live and Televised Entertainment
Revenues from our Live and Televised Entertainment businesses increased 1% to $79.0 million reflecting increased merchandise sales at our live events and incremental Pay-Per-View revenue from the strong performance of our SummerSlam event.
* Live Event revenues were $22.8 million as compared to $23.0 million in the prior year quarter as increases in average attendance and ticket prices at our events in domestic and international markets were offset by a reduction in the number and mix of international events.
- There were 77 total events, including 70 events in North America and 7 events in international markets, in the current quarter as compared to 79 events, including 64 events in North America and 15 events in international markets in the prior year quarter.
- North American events generated revenues of $17.0 million as compared to $14.2 million in the prior year quarter, with growth of $2.8 million reflecting increases in the number of events, average attendance and average realized ticket price. There were 6 additional events in the period, representing a 9% increase from the prior year quarter. Average attendance increased 6% to approximately 5,200 from 4,900 in the prior year quarter. In addition, the average ticket price for these events increased 3% to $42.73 from $41.34 in the prior year quarter.
- International events generated revenues of $5.8 million as compared to $8.8 million in the prior year quarter as the impact of fewer events in the period more than offset increases in average attendance and in the average realized ticket price. There were 8 fewer events in the period, representing a 53% decline from the prior year quarter. Average attendance increased 17% to approximately 8,400 from 7,200 in the prior year quarter. In addition, the average ticket price for these events increased 23% to $98.23 from $80.08 in the prior year quarter. The increases in both average attendance and average ticket price reflected, in part, changes in territory mix as events in the current year quarter were concentrated in cities with greater economic strength than in the prior year quarter.
* Pay-Per-View revenues were $16.3 million as compared to $15.8 million in the prior year quarter. Revenue increased 3% as a 13% increase in buys for our third quarter events was partially offset by the timing of buys for prior period events. The growth in buys for our current quarter events was predominantly due to our SummerSlam pay-per-view. Buys for that event increased 21% from the prior year quarter, demonstrating its creative strength and audience appeal. Offsetting this performance, buys for WrestleMania, a prior period event, declined 63,000 primarily due to timing. On a year-to-date basis, buys for this premiere event remained 8% above the prior year period.
* Television revenues were $34.0 million in both the current and prior year quarter. Incremental license fees from the production and distribution of new programs and contractual increases for our existing programs were offset by the timing and number of domestic SmackDown and international telecast weeks within our fiscal quarter (i.e., 13 telecast weeks compared to 14 in the prior year quarter), and by a reduction in sponsorship revenue related to our television assets. An additional hour of our weekly Raw program was licensed to USA Network and debuted on July 23, 2012.
* Venue Merchandise revenues were $4.5 million as compared to $3.6 million in the prior year quarter. The 25% increase was primarily due to a 26% increase in total domestic (U.S.) attendance. Domestic per capita merchandise sales increased 1% to $10.28 in the current year quarter.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
WWE NXT Star Is Now A Father (Photo)
Post-RAW Chris Jericho Video, Elias Samson's Latest RAW Appearance (Video), Kalisto's New Theme Song
WWE Live Event Results From Peoria (4/24): WWE Title Triple Threat, Shinsuke Nakamura, Naomi, More
Matt Hardy On Tonight's Sheamus Match, Shawn Michaels Talks WWE PC, WWE 205 Live Match Announced
Where "House Of Horrors" At WWE Payback Begins, Titus O'Neil - Apollo Crews Selfie, Athlete At RAW
Finn Balor Segment, Tag Team Match Announced For The WWE Payback Kickoff Pre-show On Sunday
Randy Orton No DQ Match, AJ Styles, Tag Team Beat The Clock Challenge And More Set For WWE SmackDown
WINC Podcast (4/24): WWE RAW Review With Matt Morgan, Payback Preview, Mauro Leaves WWE, Strowman
WWE Cruiserweight Says He's No Longer With WWE
Former Impact Wrestling Titleholder Is Headed To WWE
WWE Monday Night RAW Results - Dumpster Match, Bray Wyatt Crashes The Main Event, Alexa Bliss, More
Former WWE And WCW Star Returns At Impact Wrestling Tapings
WWE Tag Team Gets New Name, Payback Kickoff Panelists, WWE Stars Victory Dances (Video)
Shaq On Why He Didn't Work WWE's WrestleMania 33
Lana's New Gimmick At NXT Show (Video), Former WWE Champion Announces Plans, Big E Marries Couple
Backstage News On WWE Pushing Jinder Mahal, Note On Original Plans For WWE Champion Randy Orton