|By Raj Giri||November 01, 2012 | Comments|
Live and Televised Entertainment
Revenues from our Live and Televised Entertainment businesses increased 1% to $79.0 million reflecting increased merchandise sales at our live events and incremental Pay-Per-View revenue from the strong performance of our SummerSlam event.
* Live Event revenues were $22.8 million as compared to $23.0 million in the prior year quarter as increases in average attendance and ticket prices at our events in domestic and international markets were offset by a reduction in the number and mix of international events.
- There were 77 total events, including 70 events in North America and 7 events in international markets, in the current quarter as compared to 79 events, including 64 events in North America and 15 events in international markets in the prior year quarter.
- North American events generated revenues of $17.0 million as compared to $14.2 million in the prior year quarter, with growth of $2.8 million reflecting increases in the number of events, average attendance and average realized ticket price. There were 6 additional events in the period, representing a 9% increase from the prior year quarter. Average attendance increased 6% to approximately 5,200 from 4,900 in the prior year quarter. In addition, the average ticket price for these events increased 3% to $42.73 from $41.34 in the prior year quarter.
- International events generated revenues of $5.8 million as compared to $8.8 million in the prior year quarter as the impact of fewer events in the period more than offset increases in average attendance and in the average realized ticket price. There were 8 fewer events in the period, representing a 53% decline from the prior year quarter. Average attendance increased 17% to approximately 8,400 from 7,200 in the prior year quarter. In addition, the average ticket price for these events increased 23% to $98.23 from $80.08 in the prior year quarter. The increases in both average attendance and average ticket price reflected, in part, changes in territory mix as events in the current year quarter were concentrated in cities with greater economic strength than in the prior year quarter.
* Pay-Per-View revenues were $16.3 million as compared to $15.8 million in the prior year quarter. Revenue increased 3% as a 13% increase in buys for our third quarter events was partially offset by the timing of buys for prior period events. The growth in buys for our current quarter events was predominantly due to our SummerSlam pay-per-view. Buys for that event increased 21% from the prior year quarter, demonstrating its creative strength and audience appeal. Offsetting this performance, buys for WrestleMania, a prior period event, declined 63,000 primarily due to timing. On a year-to-date basis, buys for this premiere event remained 8% above the prior year period.
* Television revenues were $34.0 million in both the current and prior year quarter. Incremental license fees from the production and distribution of new programs and contractual increases for our existing programs were offset by the timing and number of domestic SmackDown and international telecast weeks within our fiscal quarter (i.e., 13 telecast weeks compared to 14 in the prior year quarter), and by a reduction in sponsorship revenue related to our television assets. An additional hour of our weekly Raw program was licensed to USA Network and debuted on July 23, 2012.
* Venue Merchandise revenues were $4.5 million as compared to $3.6 million in the prior year quarter. The 25% increase was primarily due to a 26% increase in total domestic (U.S.) attendance. Domestic per capita merchandise sales increased 1% to $10.28 in the current year quarter.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
Former WWE Champion Returns To WWE SmackDown (Video)
WWE SmackDown Live Results, Your Feedback And Viewing Party
Daniel Bryan Jokes About Talking Smack, Renee Young On Dean Ambrose Relationship, WWE NXT DVD News
More On Awkward AJ Styles Vs. Kevin Owens Finish At WWE Battleground
Another Match For Tonight's WWE SmackDown, Steve Austin Filming Show (Photo), Aiden English Games
Nikki Bella Teases WWE SummerSlam Appearance (Video), Milestone For RAW Superstar, WWE Stock
How Was This Week's WWE RAW Viewership With Seth Rollins And Dean Ambrose Teaming In The Main Event?
Has Renee Young Been Moved To RAW?, Alexa Bliss Visits Loot Crate HQ (Video), Rusev Flag Match Stat
WWE Battleground Results - New Champions, Punjabi Prison Surprise, Flag Match, Natalya, More
WWE Monday Night RAW Results - Handicap Main Event, New 1 Contender, Jason Jordan, No DQ, More
Another Wrestler Done With GFW
Paige Responds With Photo Over Concerns About Her Health
Backstage News On WWE Changing Battleground PPV Finish At The Last Minute
Roman Reigns And John Cena Trade Barbs Following Reigns Taking Shot At "WWE Battleground" Crowd
Big News For Next Week's WWE RAW Episode
Samoa Joe On Brock Lesnar Not Liking To Plan Out A Match, His Kurt Angle Feud Helping Him For Lesnar