|By Christian Miller | December 25, 2012 | Comments|
So what was good, what was bad and what was just plain strange about last night's special Christmas Raw?
1) Raw's opening segment was one of the most entertaining openers in recent memory. In case you missed the show, after the usual announcer introductions, Santa Claus came out to a warm greeting from the crowd. He then began making his way to the crowd barrier to pass out presents.
Alberto Del Rio's music then hit, and Ricardo Rodriguez came out to announce the Mexican aristocrat. Del Rio then came out in an expensive looking car (as per his usual entrance) and accidentally hit Santa, who careened off his hood. Rodriguez and Del Rio then freaked out as medical personnel came out and attended to Santa Claus. After a quick commercial break, there was even a crime scene set up around the scene of the accident.
Sure, it was a bit campy and really cheesy, but it was hilarious. When it comes to WWE and humor, it is really hit and miss. This bit however, was awesome.
2) The overall gimmick of the show was surprisingly funny, and quite enjoyable. Normally episodes of Raw with such glaring themes are just too much, but the humor was pulled off very well on Raw last night. The best parts were the fact that Cole and Lawler were somber and able to keep the straightest of faces when giving Santa condition updates, and Cena turning into a Santa avenging machine that culminated in a Miracle on 34th Street Fight against Del Rio that involved lots of present themed foreign objects. Santa even got some Christmas revenge on Del Rio in the form of a mandible claw.
3) Big Show vs. Sheamus in a LumberJack Frost match was an overall solid match. It isn't often that we see lumberjack matches, and Sheamus and Big Show (whose matches are always incredibly physical) are the perfect wrestlers to fight in such a brawl.
4) David Otunga got some time to play up his slimy lawyer character. David Otunga isn't the best wrestler in the WWE, not by a long shot. However, his sneaky lawyer character is an all around pure heel, and Otunga plays it naturally and perfectly. In a time where cookie cutter bad guys run rampant, heel characters like Damian Sandow and David Otunga stand out because they are so easy to hate. Hopefully as time goes on and Otunga gets more in ring experience, he is given a chance to run with his gimmick.
5) Kane and Daniel Bryan exchange Christmas presents. There isn't much to say beyond that. If you have been following Raw since Team Hell No's inception, you will know how hilarious the team is. Their dialogue back and forth as they give each other gifts was genuinely funny. The best part was when Kane thanked Bryan for giving him a puppy by saying he was hungry.
6) Ryback announced that if Punk is medically cleared in time for their match for the WWE Title on the first Raw of the New Year, that it will be a TLC match. This was incredibly exciting news. It's not often that matches like that air on TV, and if the past confrontations between Ryback and Punk are any indication we are in for a good match.
1) The Christmas carol sung by wrestlers at the beginning of the show was way too cheesy. Overall the theme of the show was awesome, but not that song. It was just too much. Listening to Ryback sing about not eating enough red meat was just terrible.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Offers His Thoughts On Hulk Hogan Controversy
Firemen Help With WWE Tough Enough Challenge, More On Daniel Bryan Book Success, ZZ Dressed Down
Kevin Nash Says WWE Has Taken The Market, Gives Credit To Triple H, Talks Being A Dolph Ziggler Fan
More On John Cena Suffering A Broken Nose, Big Jump For WWE Stock, Kevin Nash: Too Sweet
How Did Ring Of Honor's Late Airing Do On Destination America?, TNA Impact Viewership Up
Former WWE Creative Writer Speaks Out About Brock Lesnar Gay Character Storyline Pitch
WWE SmackDown Live Viewing Party
John Cena Injury Update From Last Night's RAW
** SPOILERS ** WWE SmackDown Results For This Week
Sting Not Appearing At WWE SummerSlam After All?, Speculation Among WWE Talents Backstage
Scott Steiner Gives His Thoughts On Hulk Hogan Controversy And Racism
JTG Talks How Black Wrestlers Are Portrayed In WWE, How Cryme Tyme Gimmick Happened