This Day In History: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin Wins 1998 Royal Rumble (Video)
|By Chris Featherstone||January 18, 2013 | Comments|
The 1989 and 1990 Royal Rumble events both included the reigning WWE Champion in the bout (Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan, respectively). It was not until five years into the series that the winner became the number one contender at WrestleMania.
15 years ago in 1998, WWE hosted its 10th year of the Royal Rumble, ending with these results:
- Vader def. The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust
- Nova, Max Mini and Mosaic def. El Torito, Tarantula and Battalion
- Intercontinental Championship: The Rock def. Ken Shamrock
- Tag Team Championship: The Legion of Doom def. The New Age Outlaws
- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin wins the 1998 Royal Rumble
Steve Austin would go on to WrestleMania XIV and defeat Shawn Michaels for the WWE Championship. You can view the Royal Rumble match below:
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.