|By Michael Souza | February 12, 2013 | Comments|
I could not be less interested in the WHC right now, and I really hope something big happens in the next month or two to change the landscape of this title scene. (see above)
One thing I am not quite grasping is the face turn of The Miz. On the surface, it seems like a great idea, but the WWE has not exactly given us a reason to get behind him, and his on-and-off rivalry with Antonio Cesaro usually leaves Miz looking less and less like the main eventer we saw a few years ago. Last night was no different, as The US Champ tossed Miz around like a rag doll, much like Brock Lesnar did one week ago. Unfortunately, "The Most Must See Superstar" is creeping further and further into the mid-card. If Miz can take the US Title from Cesaro, it would be a win-win situation. The Miz can feud with and help a few mid-card-heels (Damien Sandow, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger) get more exposure, while catapulting Cesaro to the Intercontinental Title and beyond. Until then, it seems like The Miz's future is in limbo, and he will continue to wrestle sporadically and host MizTV. Not exactly the best route for someone who does so well on camera and in various media outlets for WWE.
Another booking issue I have with the WWE creative team at the moment is how The Shield has looked in the weeks leading up to their second official match with the company. I had hoped that a lesson was learned when The Nexus was pushed into the main event scene far too early, and I am hoping we are not seeing history repeat itself. The WWE has three extremely talented, young Superstars that are destined for great things in their career. Yet for the last two weeks, we have seen them look inferior to the super baby face team they will square off against this Sunday.
The Shield need a win here desperately, no matter how it happens. Clean or not, if these three end up taking a loss this Sunday, the momentum the WWE has built up for them since Survivor Series will evaporate. Classic booking shows that because they have been over-matched by Cena, Ryback, and Shaemus recently, they will come out on top at Elimination Chamber. The WWE needs to realize what they have here, and allow The Shield to get a key victory to keep them rolling into WrestleMania.
By the way, did The Rock really tell a story about a crack head in Nashville? Yes, and the punch line (after what felt like an hour to deliver) only made sense to the people in the arena. I did not have a problem with what followed between The Great One and Punk, but this seemed pointless to me. Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy seeing the Rock to his shtick, but this was a time to get serious, sell a PPV, and generate business. Not a time to be funny. Story-time with The Rock just did not work here.
Honestly folks, anything else would just be nitpicking. I thought this was a great show overall, and it sold Elimination Chamber successfully.
- I didn't like Mark Henry too much a year ago, but for some reason I am happy he's back. Much more believable this time around.
- The crowd was hot in Nashville last night. Always makes for a fun show to watch.
- WWE Guide to getting heels over: Let them do their finisher on Khali.
- Y2J making fun of Booker was hilarious. So glad he is back.
- Ryback, Shaemus, and Cena almost got the simultaneous finshers bit off without a hitch… Almost.
- Antonio Cesaro does a great job on commentary every time he gets the opportunity. He always finds ways to advance a storyline and build his character.
- Brodus and Tensai add a really cool dynamic to the Tag Division. I respect Tensai for running with this gimmick, it's a hit.
- When the lights went out, I thought it was the Undertaker. #Disappointed
- I know Damien Sandow lost quickly to ADR, but his promo was brilliant. Topical, witty, and absolutely hilarious. He gets better every week.
- Glad to see Ziggler back on TV this week. Had a solid match with Kane, but lost (of course).
That's all for me ladies and gentleman! Thanks so much for reading. Please let me know what you think about last night's RAW!
Tweet me your questions and comments at @MikeSouzaJT.
Have a great week, and enjoy Elimination Chamber!
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
Final Points For The TNA World Title Series, Second Round Matches For Next Week
WWE NXT Superstar Arrested For DUI This Past Summer, Video Of Breath Test Refusal
Eva Marie Says She's Earned Everything, Interesting Samoa Joe Note, Bayley Struggles To Her Feet
ROH TV Recap (11/25): Jay Lethal Vs. Roderick Strong TV Title Match, Moose And Elgin Team Up, More
TNA Impact Wrestling Results: Final 16, Lashley Vs. Aries, Kurt Angle Interview, More
Why TNA Is Postponing Tour Of India, Logistical Issues Due To Flying Abroad, Upset Wrestlers
Former TNA Star On NXT, NXT Stars Names Haven't Been Changed, Vignettes Start For Star