|By Raj Giri||February 18, 2013 | Comments|
- Josh Mathews and Matt Striker opened the presser and showed interviews following last night's Elimination Chamber PPV.
- Mathews and Striker interviewed Alberto Del Rio, who noted that his first WrestleMania was a failed attempt to win the World title from Edge. Del Rio said that he will be champion heading into this year's WrestleMania, despite Dolph Ziggler not having cashed in his Money In The Bank contract.
- A WrestleMania 29 promo aired.
- A promo was shown of celebrities talking about WWE and WrestleMania.
- Brodus Clay and the Funkadactyls came out and danced and slapped hands with the members of the press.
- John Saboor, WWE SVP of Special Events, introduced New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu. Landrieu noted the major events that the city has hosted recently, and the events that they will be hosting. Landrieu then announced that the city will host WrestleMania 30 on April 6, 2014 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Landrieu discussed the economic impact that the event will have on the city. Landrieu then introduced the "man that made this possible," WWE CEO Vince McMahon.
- McMahon called WrestleMania "a celebration" and that no town embodied celebration more than New Orleans. McMahon called WWE and New Orleans a "perfect match."
- Saboor then introduced the owner of the New Orleans Saints, Rita Benson LeBlanc. LeBlanc said that she was excited to have WrestleMania in the city. She said the Superstars and Divas will rock New Orleans and thanked everyone for coming.
- R-Truth came out and sang. The members of the press and business community didn't sing along and seemed uncomfortable. WWE press conferences are just weird.
- Saboor then introduced New Orleans Arena General Manager Alan Freeman, who discussed his history with WWE. Freeman hyped the success of the event and noted their failed bids in the past. He said that there were expecting 70,000 people from all over the world. He promised that the city will put on a great event and that WWE would want to come back.
- Saboor introduced WE Executive VP of Creative Stephanie McMahon. Stephanie made light of her entrance music, and said that she was "all grown up now." Stephanie talked about how much traction the announcement has garnered over social media, and touted their stats. She said that WWE stars will visit schools as part of their be A Star initiative, and that they will visit local hospitals. She said that the company was all about making smiles, and that they will have "one hell of a party" in the city.
- Saboor introduced New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau President and CEO Steven Perry. Perry talked about being nervous meeting with Vince and Co., but that everything clicked. Perry said that they are proud to host the event, and thanked Vince.
- Saboor introduced WWE Champion The Rock, and mentioned his new film, GI Joe: Retaliation. Rock discussed his roots with New Orleans and shooting movies in the city, as well as competing for the National Championship in the Superdome and losing to Alabama. Rock called the WrestleMania experience special and unforgettable, and that the bottom line is that "it's fun." Rock then sang "When the Saints go marching in..." and thanked everyone.
- Saboor then introduced the final guest, John Cena. So it looks like Triple H won't be appearing after all. Cena called the announcement "momentous," and said that there is no better place to celebrate WrestleMania's 30th birthday than the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Cena talked about the city coming back from Hurricane Katrina. Cena said that WrestleMania will bring people in from around the world. Cena promised that they will give everyone a celebration worthy of "this great city."
- Before Cena could leave, Rock came out and the two shook hands and posed for the cameras. Several other stars then came on stage, including The Big Show, The Great Khali, Brodus Clay, Alberto Del Rio and Mark Henry. Saboor then thanked everyone for coming and said that they can't wait to see everyone at WrestleMania 30.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
SmackDown Match Announced, Summer Rae Reacts To Turning On Damien Sandow, Rosa Mendes And Adam Rose
Site News: New Mobile Site, Send Us Your Feedback
New Gimmick Match Revealed For WWE Extreme Rules, Another Main Event Change, Kickoff Pre-show Match
Former ROH Champion Set To Retire
Title Match At WWE Extreme Rules Not Taking Place?, WWE NXT Live Event Announced For NY
Chris Jericho's Next Live WWE Network Podcast Revealed
Paige VanZant Vs. Felice Herrig Highlights, UFC Rankings Movement, Why Phil Davis Left UFC
Top WWE Superstar Reportedly "Berates" Fans At Airport, John Cena Congratulates The Bellas, The Rock
Latest On Daniel Bryan's Condition, Bryan Reportedly Did Not Suffer Concussion
More On WWE Writing The Miz Out Of TV This Monday, Dean Ambrose Replacing Paige, Roman Reigns
Daniel Bryan's First Social Media Post After Being Pulled From WWE Tour
Shawn Michaels Says He Wanted To Go To WCW, Talks About Why He Didn't, Vince McMahon's Reaction