|By Raj Giri||February 18, 2013 | Comments|
- Josh Mathews and Matt Striker opened the presser and showed interviews following last night's Elimination Chamber PPV.
- Mathews and Striker interviewed Alberto Del Rio, who noted that his first WrestleMania was a failed attempt to win the World title from Edge. Del Rio said that he will be champion heading into this year's WrestleMania, despite Dolph Ziggler not having cashed in his Money In The Bank contract.
- A WrestleMania 29 promo aired.
- A promo was shown of celebrities talking about WWE and WrestleMania.
- Brodus Clay and the Funkadactyls came out and danced and slapped hands with the members of the press.
- John Saboor, WWE SVP of Special Events, introduced New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu. Landrieu noted the major events that the city has hosted recently, and the events that they will be hosting. Landrieu then announced that the city will host WrestleMania 30 on April 6, 2014 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Landrieu discussed the economic impact that the event will have on the city. Landrieu then introduced the "man that made this possible," WWE CEO Vince McMahon.
- McMahon called WrestleMania "a celebration" and that no town embodied celebration more than New Orleans. McMahon called WWE and New Orleans a "perfect match."
- Saboor then introduced the owner of the New Orleans Saints, Rita Benson LeBlanc. LeBlanc said that she was excited to have WrestleMania in the city. She said the Superstars and Divas will rock New Orleans and thanked everyone for coming.
- R-Truth came out and sang. The members of the press and business community didn't sing along and seemed uncomfortable. WWE press conferences are just weird.
- Saboor then introduced New Orleans Arena General Manager Alan Freeman, who discussed his history with WWE. Freeman hyped the success of the event and noted their failed bids in the past. He said that there were expecting 70,000 people from all over the world. He promised that the city will put on a great event and that WWE would want to come back.
- Saboor introduced WE Executive VP of Creative Stephanie McMahon. Stephanie made light of her entrance music, and said that she was "all grown up now." Stephanie talked about how much traction the announcement has garnered over social media, and touted their stats. She said that WWE stars will visit schools as part of their be A Star initiative, and that they will visit local hospitals. She said that the company was all about making smiles, and that they will have "one hell of a party" in the city.
- Saboor introduced New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau President and CEO Steven Perry. Perry talked about being nervous meeting with Vince and Co., but that everything clicked. Perry said that they are proud to host the event, and thanked Vince.
- Saboor introduced WWE Champion The Rock, and mentioned his new film, GI Joe: Retaliation. Rock discussed his roots with New Orleans and shooting movies in the city, as well as competing for the National Championship in the Superdome and losing to Alabama. Rock called the WrestleMania experience special and unforgettable, and that the bottom line is that "it's fun." Rock then sang "When the Saints go marching in..." and thanked everyone.
- Saboor then introduced the final guest, John Cena. So it looks like Triple H won't be appearing after all. Cena called the announcement "momentous," and said that there is no better place to celebrate WrestleMania's 30th birthday than the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Cena talked about the city coming back from Hurricane Katrina. Cena said that WrestleMania will bring people in from around the world. Cena promised that they will give everyone a celebration worthy of "this great city."
- Before Cena could leave, Rock came out and the two shook hands and posed for the cameras. Several other stars then came on stage, including The Big Show, The Great Khali, Brodus Clay, Alberto Del Rio and Mark Henry. Saboor then thanked everyone for coming and said that they can't wait to see everyone at WrestleMania 30.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.
A Look At Upcoming WWE Figures From Mattel, Xavier Woods Records With Stardust, WWE - Philly
Lingerie Football League Hall Of Famer Gets WWE Tryout, RAW Rating, John Morrison, Booker T
Backstage Note On Matt Hardy Vacating The TNA World Heavyweight Title
Paige On WWE Main Event, Noelle Foley Talks To Lana And Dolph Ziggler, Goldust Hypes Takeover
Photos: Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Luke Harper And Other WWE Stars At Airport Heading Overseas
Tough Enough Amanda Gets New WWE Name, Diva Returns To "Total Divas," More Details On Next Season
** SPOILERS ** WWE SmackDown Results For This Week
WWE Monday Night RAW Results - John Cena Defends, Brock Lesnar - Big Show, Team BAD, Kane, More
Backstage Notes On John Cena's Time Off And Return, Speculation On WWE Pushing Dean Ambrose
Former TNA Star Says He's Talking With WWE
CM Punk Calls Susan G. Komen "A Scam", Brock Lesnar, "Cryptic" Message From Adam Rose
** SPOILERS ** WWE SmackDown Results For This Week