Welcome to the WrestlingINC.com WWE Main Event Recap.
- The show starts with a video of Kofi Kingston's U.S. Title win and go right to Striker in the back who asks Antonio Cesaro how he intends to win the title back. Cesaro says he will do the same thing he did in the 240 days of his reign: dominate. He says his pride, dignity, and identity have been taken but he takes it all back tonight.
- We go to the opening sequence and pyro with crowd shots from Detroit, Michigan. Michael Cole welcomes us to the show and we see the graphic for the U.S. Title match. Kofi Kingston makes his entrance as JBL tells us that he is a brand new daddy. Cesaro makes his way down the ramp with a purpose.
WWE United States Championship: Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Antonio Cesaro
They circle each other and scrap on the mat as they try to get leverage. Cesaro gets a takedown and they break and reset. They go back and forth some more with some grappling as the crowd rallies for Kofi. Kofi puts Cesaro's shoulders on the mat for a quick near fall. Cesaro goes back to work but Kofi reverses an armbar. Cesaro grabs Kofi's hair to regain offense and catches him in mid-air for a gut-wrench throw. Kofi slides off the back and hits a head scissors takedown and hits a springboard crossbody for 2. Cesaro goes out for a breather as we go to break.
We're back with Cesaro in control in the ring. Cesaro with a reverse chinlock on the mat on Kofi. Cesaro drops a leg on the back of the neck for 2. Cesaro adds insult with slaps to the back of the head. Kofi rallies back with a flurry of quick offense. Kofi hits the Boom Drop as Cesaro rolls on the apron and drops down as he drives Kofi into the ropes. Kofi recovers and hits the S.O.S in the ring for a close near fall. Cesaro hits a sit-down slam for 2 and hits a running uppercut in the corner for another. Cesaro tosses Kofi in a gut-wrench and Kofi barely survives as we go to commercial.
Kofi moves in the corner and knocks Cesaro to the floor as we return to action. Kofi leaps to the floor and hits a hurricanrana to Cesaro, to the steel steps. Kofi gets 2 in the ring. Cesaro catches Kofi off the ropes, in mid-air, and they have a nice exchange but Cesaro kicks out. Cesaro hits a devastating uppercut and jumps on Kofi's hurt leg. Cesaro works the leg with a half Boston Crab as Kofi rolls through and kicks him off with his good leg. Cesaro applies the Crab again as Kofi writhes in pain but eventually makes it to the ropes. Cesaro hits a superplex of sorts as he dead-lifts Kofi from the apron from the 2nd buckle but only gets 2. Cesaro fails to put Kofi away and goes back to the leg. Kofi counters the Neutralizer and hits the Trouble in Paradise to the back of Cesaro's head and hooks the near leg for the pin.
Winner by pin And Still WWE U.S. Champion: Kofi Kingston
Matt Striker gets an interview in the ring with Kofi and he says it's been a great week because he just had his first son. He tells them that daddy is coming home a champion. Cole sells the angle as a "life-changing experience" and congratulates him.
- Back from a break as a limping Kofi is attacked by Cesaro in the back. Cesaro rips out a lock of his hair and leaves him lying.
- We go to the RAW Rebound of Cena and The Shield.
- Back in the arena, Justin Gabriel makes his entrance.
- Back from a break as 3MB makes their entrance.
Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel
Slater pulls some shenanigans and plays air-guitar. Gabriel hits an armdrag and plays it better than Slater. Justin takes full control and puts on somewhat of a clinic. Gabriel continues to keep Slater under control with armdrags and takedowns as Cole and JBL banter about unrelated things. Gabriel head scissors Slater to the floor and as Mahal and Drew check on him, Gabriel dives onto all of them. Mahal and Drew try to get in the ring and the ref throws them out. Slater gets tossed to the floor and he begs for his friend to come back as we go to break.
Slater is in control in the ring as he unloads with shots on Gabriel. Cole and JBL still seem disinterested in the match. Gabriel tries to come off the top but Slater brings him down in a powerslam; Gabriel gets his foot on the rope. Slater is unable to put Gabriel away. Gabriel gets his boot up to turn things around with kicks. Gabriel hits a springboard crossbody for 2. Gabriel hits the 450 splash for the win.
Winner by pin: Justin Gabriel
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.