Welcome to the WrestlingINC.com WWE Main Event Recap.
- Pyro explodes in the arena and Josh Mathews welcomes us to the program during crowd shots. We are less than 2 weeks away from Payback.
- Sheamus makes his entrance to the ring. Miz and Ricardo are on commentary. On a side note, how long has Tony Chimel been back? Was he ever gone? I haven't noticed him in ages. Antonio Cesaro makes his entrance.
Sheamus vs. Antonio Cesaro
They feel each other out and go to mat work. Sheamus goes to a side headlock. Cesaro transitions into a head scissors and they reset. Cesaro sends him in but Sheamus bounces back with a shoulderblock takedown. Cesaro goes behind and takes Sheamus down. Without letting go, Cesaro shows his power by pulling Sheamus back up and hitting a gutwrench slam. Sheamus rolls to the apron and leaps over the top to shoulderblock Cesaro in the ring. Sheamus continues his flurry with strikes in the corner and takes it to Cesaro at ringside. Cesaro gets the advantage back on the apron and he sends Sheamus shoulder-first into the steel post. Cesaro runs down the apron and kicks Sheamus' head right into our living room.
I've been noticing new camera angles in WWE over the past week. They are a refreshing and welcome change. Kevin Dunn's influence as executive producer may be fading. Sheamus is seeing stars on the floor at ringside as we go to break.
We return to action with Cesaro power-slamming Sheamus in the center of the ring. Sheamus kicks out of 2 consecutive covers as we see footage from during the break of Cesaro leaping and double curb-stomping Sheamus on the floor from the apron. Sheamus comes back out of the corner but Cesaro hits a clothesline for 2. Cesaro slaps Sheamus around in the corner and goes to a sleeper as Sheamus fades. Sheamus comes back to life and they trade shots in the center. Sheamus hits the Irish Curse backbreaker as the ref counts both men on the mat. The both make it up and Sheamus goes into a flurry. Sheamus hits his forearm spot in the ropes and sends Cesaro into the post as payback for earlier.
Sheamus flies off the apron with a shoulderblock to the floor. Sheamus sends him back in and they counter each other. Sheamus hits a rolling senton for 2. Sheamus goes up top but Cesaro catches him with an uppercut in mid air for two. That looked impressive. Cesaro flies off the top and drives his knee into Sheamus' face for 2. That looked more impressive. Cesaro locks in a crossface chicken wing and takes it to the mat. Sheamus puts his boot on the bottom rope and the ref forces the break. Cesaro starts to pound Sheamus in the head; Sheamus counters out of the Neutralizer and drops Cesaro across the top turnbuckle. Sheamus hits the Brogue Kick out of the corner and from out of nowhere for the win in a pretty decent television contest.
Winner by pin: Sheamus
- We see a graphic of Triple H vs. Curtis Axel for this Monday's RAW. We shall see if Vince lets it go down.
- The Usos come to the ring as we go to a commercial.
- Team Hell No & Randy Orton will be on MizTV this Friday on SmackDown.
- Team Rhodes Scholars make their entrance to a sea of jeers. I really like the facepaint on the Uso's. It's a subtle addition but it adds so much to their presentation. The Shield, The Wyatts, Punk, Bryan, etc...it is slowly becomming fun to be a wrestling fan again.
Team Rhodes Scholars vs. The Usos
The two teams mix it up rather evenly with back and forth. Usos take a small lead as we take a quick break. We return to action as Josh quizzes Miz on how to tell Jey and Jimmy Uso apart. The Usos make quick tags and keep control of Cody Rhodes. Miz brings up Josh's Tough Enough days after he suggests match between Josh and Ricardo. Josh quips back about The Real World. I am guilty of having watched both seasons of said shows. The Miz was actually doing "The Miz" character on that show before he ever became a wrestler. It was basically a play on "The Rock."
Back to ring action as the announcers also come off their tangent. Cody comes back as he sidesteps Jey in the corner and drops him with a neckbreaker for 2. Cody tags Damien Sandow who hits aggressive strikes on Uso in the corner. Sandow hits the Elbow of Disdain on Uso for 2. More quick tags from The Rhodes Scholars. Jimmy makes the hot-tag in and he goes off on Cody. He hits the Running Stinkface and makes the cover but Sandow makes the save. Jey takes Sandow's head off with a superkick. Cody hits the Disaster Kick to Jimmy but Jey breaks the count. Jimmy hits Cody with a superkick just as Jey slaps his brother in the back to tag in. Jey flies off the top and hits the Superfly Splash for the victory.
Winners by pin: The Usos
- We go to a Ryback highlight package.
- Justin Gabriel makes his entrance. Curt Hawkins makes his entrance with a backward hat and it looks like he is sporting a new short haircut. I had all but forgotten about this chap.
Justin Gabriel vs. Curt Hawkins
They lock up and Gabriel hits a nice deep armdrag. Hawkins hits a vicious clothesline and I don't even think the ref counted to 1 before Gabriel popped his shoulder up. Hawkins goes to work with a rear headlock. Miz says Gabriel goes night-surfing. Gabriel comes back with a flurry of kicks. Gabriel hits a sit-down slam for 2. Hawkins and Gabriel trade a couple of hard shots to the face. Hawkins gets 2. Gabriel creates some space in the corner, taking Hawkins down with a double boot to the chest. Gabriel pulls himself up top Shawn Michaels-style and comes off with the 450 for the win.
Winner by pin: Justin Gabriel
- Josh signs off as he reminds us to tune in to SmackDown on Friday.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.