Anderson Silva On Why He Won't Return This Year, GSP In 'Captain America' Video, Hendricks Update

- Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is set to undergo knee surgery next week for a torn ACL suffered in training. However, that doesn't mean we can't see GSP in action, as he will be appearing in the upcoming film, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

St-Pierre, who announced plans to take a break from fighting in the UFC last December, stars as Batroc in the movie, which premiers in North America on Friday. You can see a clip of GSP in the video above.

Batroc is a mercenary and a master of the French form of kickboxing known as savate. He first appeared in the Marvel universe in 1966.

- In other injured ex-UFC champion news, Anderson Silva recently told UFC Fight Pass that he could get back inside the Octagon this year, but other obligations are standing in his way. "The Spider" broke his leg last December in a loss to Chris Weidman for the middleweight championship.

"Another couple of months and I would be ready to fight this year," Silva said. "But I'm having this opportunity to spend more time with my family, to focus and work over my personal projects."

Silva, 38 years old, has hired an agency to help him with his possible acting career going forward and is also taking classes to become a certified police officer. He did add that he feels an obligation to the U.S. MMA fans to return to action before calling it a career.

"I was a bit worried to being with but then I thought to myself I have been doing this since I was a kid, let's go," Silva said. "And I'm doing this to give back to the U.S., what the U.S. gave me. Which is the opportunity for my children to study, the opportunity for a different life than the one I have in Brazil and being able to make a difference."

- Johny Hendricks, who captured the UFC welterweight title from Robbie Lawler last month, is targeting a return to action between "September and November," as he told MMAjunkie.com recently. Hendricks suffered several injuries in the five-round fight, the worst of which was a torn bicep.

"I know that's a huge spread, but if I'm healing up quickly, then September easy," he said. "Then again, I don't want to push it too quick because if I re-injure it, I'll be out even longer."

Hendricks also stated that he hopes the UFC pairs up the many contenders for his title while he is sidelined to determine a true No. 1 contender. Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley, Hector Lombard and others have all laid claim to being the next man to fight for the belt.

"I'll be out for a little bit longer, so I would like to have them all fight one more time," he said.

Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.

Short URL: http://winc.cc/RnNbSr

« Previous Headline | Comment | Main | Next Headline »

WrestlingInc.com is the largest independently owned wrestling website in the world (Source: Alexa). Follow us (@WrestlingInc) on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook: