- UFC president Dana White finally came through with a super-fight, announcing Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz for UFC 183 this January. The bout will take place from Las Vegas on January 31 as part of the UFC's annual Super Bowl weekend event.
"The fight that the fans have been waiting for," said White, appearing on ESPN's SportsCenter Tuesday. "We have made Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz. It will be the main event and it will be five rounds."
Silva (33-6) will be fighting for the first time in over a year after suffering a gruesome broken leg against Chris Weidman last December for the UFC middleweight title. After winning his first 16 Octagon bouts, he has lost his last two to Weidman.
Diaz (26-9) lost his last two after putting together an 11-fight win streak, falling to Georges St-Pierre last year for the UFC welterweight title and to Carlos Condit in 2012 for the interim belt. He recently signed a new three-fight deal with the promotion.
- Joe Riggs, who recently signed back on with the UFC to face Paulo Thiago in Brazil, has been removed from the fight after his hand gun accidentally discharged on him. Riggs was looking to return to the Octagon for the first time since 2006.
"We were made aware that newly-signed UFC competitor Joe Riggs was involved in an unfortunate accident last night. While cleaning his permitted firearm (a pistol), the gun discharged, injuring his hand and upper thigh," the UFC said in a released statement. "Riggs was transported to a nearby hospital in Arizona where he is being treated by physicians. We wish Joe a speedy recovery."
The promotion has already found an opponent for Thiago, tabbing Sean Spencer to face him at UFC Fight Night 51.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.