Bellator MMA is firmly grasping on their new direction, as big names take precedence in the company. Today the company announced Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock for June 20 in St. Louis.
The fight was originally set to take place in EliteXC over six years ago at their Heat event. Ken Shamrock sustained a cut backstage and had to be replaced by Seth Petruzelli, who knocked out Kimbo in 14 seconds. The fight led to the downfall of EliteXC as an organization.
Kimbo Slice is now a combined 13-3 through professional boxing, MMA and exhibition bouts, while the 51 year-old Shamrock hasn't fought professionally since 2010.
Kimbo appeared on ESPN.com and said I "hungry for the activity, and Shamrock was a part of the menu." Slice also said that Bellator made him an offer he couldn't refuse. The company has taken a drastically different direction since former Strikeforce President Scott Coker took over the company from Bjorn Rebney last year.
Shamrock is still set to compete this summer in a bare knuckle bout, and said that the fight with Slice will serve as a "warm up" for that bout.