- It was confirmed late Thursday night that Daniel Cormier will take on Anderson Silva at UFC 200 Saturday night from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The bout will be non-title and contested in the light heavyweight division.
Silva has not fought since a loss to current UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping earlier this year in England. He was set to fight in Brazil, but emergency gallbladder surgery took him out of a fight vs. Uriah Hall.
The fight was first reported by Combate.
Headlining the card will now be the female bantamweight title fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes, while Brock Lesnar-Mark Hunt moves back to the co-main event role.
- UFC Fight Night 90 kicked off this three-day stretch of events Thursday night on UFC Fight Pass from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Former Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez made history, adding the UFC lightweight title to his resume with a first round stoppage of Rafael dos Anjos in the main event. Alvarez found his groove after stopping a takedown, putting together a relentless offensive attack on RDA that forced referee Herb Dean to step in and stop the fight.
With the win, Alvarez became the first fighter to ever hold both the UFC and Bellator titles during their career.
Derrick Lewis scored a controversial split decision victory over Roy Nelson in the co-main event. After Lewis dominated early, it was Nelson who scored seven takedowns. However, two of the judges gave it to Lewis, who earned his fourth consecutive victory.
Alan Jouban scored a decision over Belal Muhammad and Joseph Duffy locked up a 25-second submission win over Mitch Clarke to begin the main card. Duffy's win was the fourth-fastest Octagon finish in the lightweight division.
The night started off with five straight submissions, as Vicente Luque, Marco Beltran, Gilbert Burns, Felipe Arantes and Pedro Munhoz all locked up wins in either the first or second round.
Alvarez and Pedro Munhoz each picked up "Performance of the Night" bonuses, while Jouban and Muhammad were declared the "Fight of the Night." All four scored an additional $50,000. The attendance was announced at 7,760 with a live gate of $690,526.
Complete results can be found below:
* Eddie Alvarez def. Rafael dos Anjos via TKO (strikes) at 3:49 of Round 1 to become UFC lightweight champion
* Derrick Lewis def. Roy Nelson via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
* Alan Jouban def. Belal Muhammad via unanimous decision (28-27, 29-27, 29-28)
* Joseph Duffy def. Mitch Clarke via submission (rear-naked choke) at :25 of Round 1
* Alberto Mina def. Mike Pyle via KO (flying knee) at 1:17 of Round 2
* John Makdessi def. Mehdi Baghdad via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
* Anthony Birchak def. Dileno Lopes via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
* Pedro Munhoz def. Russell Doane via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:08 of Round 1
* Felipe Arantes def. Jerrod Sanders via submission (armbar) at 1:39 of Round 2
* Gilbert Burns def. Lukasz Sajewski via submission (armbar) at 4:57 of Round 1
* Marco Beltran def. Reginaldo Vieira via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:04 of Round 2
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.