- The second of three straight UFC cards went down Friday night from Las Vegas, as The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale took place. Joanna Jedrzejczyk retained her strawweight title, overcoming a rough first two rounds to dominate Claudia Gadelha over the final three.
In the co-main event, Andrew Sanchez completely dominated Khalil Rountree, claiming a decision and winning The Ultimate Fighter 23 light heavyweight tournament title. Tatiana Suarez, a cancer survivor, won the TUF strawweight tournament with a first round victory over Amanda Cooper. After surviving a deep armbar attempt, Suarez locked in a D'arce choke of her own to remain unbeaten.
Doo Ho Choi and Joaquim Silva picked up impressive first round finishes to open the FOX Sports 1 main card. Choi earned his third straight first round knockout when he floored Thiago Tavares, while Silva handed Andrew Holbrook his first pro loss when he did the same in just 34 seconds.
On the early prelims, former lightweight title contender Gray Maynard scored a victory in his featherweight debut over Fernando Bruno, while Matheus Nicolau upset former title challenger John Moraga at flyweight.
Complete results can be found below:
* Joanna Jedrzejczyk def. Claudia Gadelha via unanimous decision (48-46, 48-45, 48-46) to remain UFC strawweight champion
* Andrew Sanchez def. Khalil Rountree via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26) to become The Ultimate Fighter 23 light heavyweight champion
* Tatiana Suarez def. Amanda Cooper via submission (D'arce choke) at 3:43 of Round 1 to become The Ultimate Fighter 23 strawweight champion
* Will Brooks def. Ross Pearson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Doo Ho Choi def. Thiago Tavares via TKO (strikes) at 2:42 of Round 1
* Joaquim Silva def. Andrew Holbrook via TKO (strikes) at :34 of Round 1
* Gray Maynard def. Fernando Bruno via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Matheus Nicolau def. John Moraga via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
* Josh Stansbury def. Cory Hendricks via majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)
* Cezar Ferreira def. Anthony Smith via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Kevin Lee def. Jake Matthews via TKO (strikes) at 4:06 of Round 1
* Li Jingliang def. Anton Zafir via KO (strike) at 2:46 of Round 1
- A planned UFC flyweight title fight between champion Demetrious Johnson and challenger Wilson Reis has been cancelled for UFC 201 due to an undisclosed injury suffered by Johnson. The event takes place July 30 from Atlanta.
Johnson was seeking to earn his ninth successful title defense, moving him into a tie for second on the UFC's all-time list with Georges St-Pierre, and just one behind Anderson Silva. No word yet on when the two will be rescheduled, or if they will.
UFC 201 features welterweight champion Robbie Lawler defending his title against Tyron Woodley in the main event.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.