- Conor McGregor isn't sure where the UFC got this idea that he is taking an extended break from. The reigning lightweight champion recently told RTE Sport out of Ireland that he still wants to meet with the new owners to discuss his future before anything is decided.
McGregor became the first fighter to hold titles in two different weight classes when he finished Eddie Alvarez last month for the lightweight belt. He previously won the featherweight title, though he never defended it and was forced to give it up to Jose Aldo.
"I want to see what their plan is cause right now I don't know what anybody's plan is. All I know is they're trying to type onto a keyboard and say we're taking this belt and we're taking that belt, we're doing this, we're doing that — you ain't doing nothing without contacting me first," McGregor said. "I'm ready for anything. I did say I was going to take a break but a Christmas break, the holidays. At least give me the holidays off. We'll see what happens in the future."
- Jose Aldo, who was awarded the featherweight title and expected to unify it with interim champion Max Holloway, played breaking news reporter with MMA Fighting recently. Aldo declared that he is expecting a bout in 2017 for the interim lightweight title, which would put him on a collision course with Conor McGregor.
Aldo lost the featherweight belt last year to McGregor, who never defended it and won the lightweight title in November.
"No, the Brooklyn fight is not happening (with Holloway)," Aldo said. "I now expect and believe I will be fighting in early March. Either March 3 or March 4, I can't remember. I believe they will soon announce an interim lightweight title fight with me. They've been trying to find me an opponent, and - surprise, surprise - at least one has already turned down the fight against me. I'm waiting to see who they will find."
- UFC heavyweight contenders Alistair Overeem and Mark Hunt will square off in a rematch years in the making at UFC 209 in March. The bout is part of the March 4 card from Las Vegas.
Overeem is coming off a knockout loss to Stipe Miocic for the heavyweight title, which snapped his four-fight win streak. Hunt, meanwhile, is 2-0 with a no-contest over his last three. That includes a fight with Brock Lesnar that was switched to a no-contest due to Lesnar failing his drug test.
Got a news tip or correction? Send it to us by clicking here.