Brian Ortega earned the biggest win of his career with a second-round submission victory over Cub Swanson in the main event of UFC Fresno. It's the fifth straight win for Ortega (13-0-1) and he snapped Swanson's four-fight win streak. Orteg, the No. 6 featherweight in the world, is likely to get a number-one contender fight next or possibly even a title shot.
Swanson was landing some crisp strikes on Ortega, but Ortega showed no signs of damage and continued walking Swanson down. Ortega locked in the guillotine choke from a standing position and re-adjusted his grip to lock up the submission and force Swanson to tap. In his post-fight interview, Ortega said he will respect Frankie Edgar's upcoming title shot against featherweight champion Max Holloway and said he hopes to face the winner. It was Swanson's last fight on his UFC contract and he looked great up until the finish, so it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.
In the co-main event, Gabriel Benitez defeated Jason Knight via unanimous decision (30-26 x2, 29-27). Knight had a point taken away in the first round for biting Benitez's hand. Benitez dominated the stand-up with diverse striking and he defended Knight's takedown attempts. Knight couldn't seem to get into a rhythm and was outclassed by Benitez.
Elsewhere on the card, Marlon Moraes scored a huge first-round knockout win over Aljamain Sterling. Sterling shot for a takedown and Moraes caught him flush with a brutal knee that knocked him out cold. The former World Series Of Fighting bantamweight champion and current No. 8 bantamweight in the UFC, Moraes is likely to vault into the top-five and could possibly get booked in a top-contender fight.
Full results from the event can be found below:
- Brian Ortega def. Cub Swanson via submission (guillotine choke) at 3:22 of Round 2
- Gabriel Benitez def. Jason Knight via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Marlon Moraes def. Aljamain Sterling via KO (knee) at 1:07 Round 1
- Scott Holtzman def. Darrell Horcher via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Eryk Anders def. Markus Perez via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-25, 29-28)
- Benito Lopez def. Albert Morales via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alexis Davis def. Liz Carmouche via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Andre Soukhamthath def. Luke Sanders via TKO (punches) at 1:05 of Round 2
- Alex Perez def. Carls John de Tomas via submission (d'arce choke) at 1:54 of Round 2
- Frankie Saenz def. Merab Dvalishvili via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Alejandro Perez def. Iuri Alcantara via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Davi Ramos def. Chris Gruetzemacher via submission (rear-naked choke) at :50 of Round 3
- Trevin Giles def. Antonio Braga Neto via TKO (punches) at 2:23 of Round 3