Rob Van Dam defeated John Cena to seemingly become the new WWE Champion at ECW’s One Night Stand PPV to win his first world championship. The finish saw Edge interfere and spear Cena through a table while knocking out referee Nick Patrick (the ECW referee was laid out a little earlier). Van Dam then hit the five star frog splash on Cena. With no more referees, Paul Heyman hit the ring and counted the pin. Whether that decisions stands or not should be made clear tonight on Raw, however Dave Meltzer reported that it is doubtful that Van Dam will be stripped of the title.
Other results from One Night Stand:
- Tazz defeated Jerry Lawler with the Tazzmission in less than a minute to open the show.
- Kurt Angle defeated Randy Orton via submission with the ankle lock.
- The Full Blooded Italians defeated Super Crazy and Yoshihiro Tajiri. After the match, the Big Show came to the ring and laid everyone out.
- Sabu and Rey Mysterio went to a no contest when neither men could continue at the end of the match.
- Edge, Mick Foley and Lita defated Beulah, Tommy Dreamer and Terry Funk when Edge pinned Beulah.
- Balls Mahoney beat Masato Tanaka.