The Rock's new movie a success, UFC drug failures and more

The Rock is said to be very happy with the performance of his latest film, The Game Plan. Studio executives had pegged the film to earn 17-18 million in it's opening weekend and to finish second, behind The Kingdom. Instead, The Game Plan surpassed studio estimates by grossing nearly $23 million it's opening weekend ($22,950,971 to be exact) and debuting at #1, ahead of The Kingdom, which grossed $20,947,205 it's opening weekend. The gross for the film through yesterday is $25,658,978 and Disney is hopeful that the film will cross $100 million, which no Dwayne Johnson starrer has been able to do so far (unless you count The Mummy Returns where he had a small role).

Advertisement

The opening is Johnson's second best ever, behind The Scorpion King which opened at $36 million to a final $90 million gross domestically. The Game Plan should hold fairly well this weekend as no major family films are opening. While it's doing well at the box office, it continues to get clobbered by critics, as the film is now down to a 29% at RottenTomatoes.com, a site which aggregates film reviews.

MMAFightLine.com is reporting that Anthony Torres, who was stopped in the first round of his fight with Jess Liaudin at UFC 75 in London on Sept. 8, tested positive for Boldenone. Because there is no entity which regulates MMA in the United Kingdom, the UFC administered drug tests at random before and after the fights that night.

Advertisement

MMAFightLine.com reports that Torres was found to have Boldenone in his system. He will not be able to be punished by a commission since none has jurisdiction, but Ratner said the UFC plans to advise athletic commissions of the positive test.

The UFC released Torres from his contract after him poor performance in his loss to Liaudin. For more on the story, and more MMA news, visit MMAFightLine.com by clicking here.

Comments

Recommended