In 1983, the National Wrestling Alliance created a pay-per-view supercard that was aptly named Starrcade. This event, which would later inspire the Wrestlemania pay-per-view, became the flagship event for the NWA/WCW brand until its closure.
On December 27, 1993, WCW celebrated the 10th Anniversary of Starrcade by comprising a stacked card filled with the company's best wrestlers. The event ended with these results:
- Pretty Wonderful (Paul Roma and Paul Orndorff) def. 2 Cold Scorpio and Marcus Alexander Bagwell
- The Shockmaster def. Awesome Kong
- Ricky Steamboat vs. Lord Steven Regal (World TV Championship; time limit draw)
- Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne def. Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce
- Steve Austin def. Dustin Rhodes (United States Championship, 2/3 Falls)
- Rick Rude def. The Boss (WCW International World Heavyweight Championship)
The match between Ric Flair and Vader was the quintessential depiction of the age-old story of "David vs. Goliath." In 1993, Vader was at the top of his game, steamrolling through the WCW roster on his way to the World Heavyweight Championship. Ric Flair, recently returning from a stint in the WWE, was able to stop Vader's momentum and capture the world title for the 11th time.
You can watch a portion of this exhilarating match below.