- The UFC officially announced today that UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre will defend his title against former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz at UFC 158 from the Bell Centre in Montreal on March 16, 2013.
"Georges St-Pierre asked to fight Nick Diaz because he knows they have unfinished business, and Nick Diaz agrees," said UFC President Dana White.
St-Pierre and Diaz were scheduled to fight twice in the past, however a series of events -- including Diaz no-showing a press conference and St-Pierre sustaining a knee injury -- prevented the bout from ever happening.
"There's been a lot of talk about who I should fight next but this was really the only choice for me," said St-Pierre. "He's made it personal and I personally can't wait."
"This is the fight I want," Diaz said. "I want to go out there and beat Georges St-Pierre in Montreal and show that I'm the best welterweight in the world."
- Speaking of St-Pierre, he revealed that despite recently admitting to losing motivation before he suffered his injury, retirement is not in his sights. You can read more from St-Pierre about his fighting future at this direct link on FightLine.com.
- Also announced for UFC 158 is a welterweight clash between Rory MacDonald and former interim UFC welterweight champion Carlos Condit. MacDonald is coming off a dominant victory over MMA legend BJ Penn earlier this month, and is looking to avenge his only loss to Condit in a fight that saw Condit come from behind and pull off a TKO win with only seconds remaining.
- Yet another welterweight fight has been confirmed for the card, as Johny Hendricks -- who many expected to face St-Pierre next -- will square off against Jake Ellenberger. Hendricks will almost assuredly get the next shot at the welterweight championship if he is able to defeat Ellenberger.
- White discussed the UFC 158 main event at the The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale post-fight press conference this past Saturday night, you can view his comments below, courtesy of MMAWeekly:
Source: JR's BBQ