– We’re live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles as Josh Mathews welcomes us to the SummerSlam Kickoff pre-show. Fans are still filing into the arena as Mathews hypes tonight’s card. Mathews is joined by Booker T, Shawn Michaels and Vickie Guerrero. HBK says not much brings him out of his house in Texas but SummerSlam in LA does it.
HBK is most looking forward to Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. Booker is looking forward to Kane vs. Bray Wyatt the most. Vickie is looking forward to Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio. HBK talks about how Bray has an uphill battle and says we will find out what he’s made of. Mathews talks about Rob Van Dam vs. Dean Ambrose for the United States Title and we see how RVD earned the shot. The panelists talk about The Shield and Rob Van Dam returning to WWE.
– We go back to the social media command center with Renee Young. She wants fans to send in their tweets, touts and everything else.
– We get a video for CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar.
– Mathews goes live to Paul Heyman, who is backstage. Heyman talks about the match and compares it to David vs. Goliath. Heyman announces the match will now be under no DQ rules and both men have agreed to it.
– We go to Tony Dawson who was interviewing fans from overseas outside of the arena.
– They air a promo for Total Divas.
– The panelists talk about tonight’s Brie Bella vs. Natalya match. We get a video for AJ Lee and Big E Langston vs. Kaitlyn and Dolph Ziggler.
– More from Renee Young in the social media command center.
– We get a promo for Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. HBK says Bryan has what it takes to become WWE Champion. He says he respects Cena but he’s bias, he’s rooting for Bryan. Booker says it’s perfect timing for Bryan to step in and become WWE Champion. HBK says if it’s not tonight, Bryan’s time will come. Vickie says she doesn’t trust Triple H when it comes to being special referee.
– We get another Doritos Jacked promo before going back out to Tony Dawson interviewing fans outside of the arena.
– We go to ringside where Michael Cole, JBL and Jerry Lawler are getting ready. We’re just under 30 minutes away as the announcers hype tonight’s card.
WWE United States Title Match: Rob Van Dam vs. Dean Ambrose
We go to the ring and out comes WWE United States Champion Dean Ambrose. Out next comes Rob Van Dam as fans are still finding their seats.
They lock up and go at it. Ambrose drops RVD first and the fans boo. Ambrose acts cocky and mocks RVD. More boos from the fans. They lock up again and Ambrose takes RVD to the mat. They trade holds and RVD drops Ambrose with a shoulder and then a big kick. RVD does the shoulder point in Ambrose’s face and the fans chant along with him. More back and forth. RVD with a big clothesline and another takedown into a headlock.
Ambrose takes RVD to the corner but he turns it around. RVD with forearm shots. RVD runs into a big knee in the corner and goes down. Ambrose takes his time and covers for a 2 count. Ambrose with a neckbreaker and another pin attempt. Ambrose keeps RVD on the mat as the fans chant for him. Ambrose with a double dropkick to the chest and more trash talking. 2 count by Ambrose. RVD comes back with a pair of clotheslines and a super kick. RVD with a crossbody for 2. Back and forth in the corner. RVD slams Ambrose and goes for the split legged moonsault but Ambrose gets his knees up. Ambrose with a clothesline and a 2 count.
RVD comes back with more offense and goes to the top for the frogsplash. The Shield music hits and here comes Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns through the crowd. Ambrose rolls out to the floor. Mark Henry’s music hits and here he comes to join RVD. Big Show’s music hits next and here he comes. We cut to a WWE 2K14 promo.
The match is back on as Show and Henry are outside of the ring as well as Rollins and Reigns. Ambrose with a 2 count. Ambrose with another hold, keeping RVD grounded. RVD gets tossed to the floor. Show and Henry make sure Rollins and Reigns leave RVD alone. Ambrose comes out but RVD counters with a suplex on the floor. RVD drops Ambrose on top of the barrier and goes to the apron. RVD does the shoulder point and hits a big kick from the apron to Ambrose on the barrier. RVD brings Ambrose back in and goes to the top with a senton for a close 2 count. Reigns pulls RVD’s leg as he runs the ropes. Ambrose tries to attack from behind but RVD pins him with a unique pin for a 2 count. Ambrose with a big spinebuster for 2. Ambrose with more offense. He goes to the top and comes crashing down but RVD moves. RVD goes for the frogsplash but goes to kick Rollins on the apron instead. Ambrose rolls RVD up from behind for a close 2 count. Ambrose runs into an elbow in the corner. RVD with more offense and Rolling Thunder. RVD nails the frogsplash but Reigns spears him for the DQ.
Winner by DQ: Rob Van Dam
– After the match, Show and Henry hit the ring but The Shield escapes through the crowd.
– The panelists talk about the match. HBK says RVD isn’t done and has his eye on the United States Title. Vickie is leaving the panel to go get ready for tonight.
– We go back to Renee Young at the social media command center.
– We see construction crews and members of the Los Angeles Fire Department setting up for the Ring of Fire match. We get a promo for Kane vs. Bray Wyatt.