- The 2013 WWE Night of Champions Kickoff pre-show starts with Josh Mathews welcoming us as fans pile into the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan. Mathews is joined by his panel for tonight - Alex Riley, Booker T and Santino Marella. Booker says he's most looking forward to Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton. Santino is looking forward to CM Punk vs. Curtis Axel and Paul Heyman while Riley talks about the Tag Team Turmoil match. He predicts The Shield will drop the belts tonight.
- We go to Renee Young in the social media lounge. Hashtags for tonight are #WWENOC.
- The panel talks about Punk vs. Heyman and Axel. Heyman is backstage looking worried. Brad Maddox walks by and asks if Heyman is okay. Heyman says he is as far from okay as a human being can be. Heyman says Maddox all but signed off on his execution. Heyman is worried about what Punk will do to him. Heyman says maybe he will punch the referee right before Punk can get his hands on him. Maddox isn't sure if that's best for business. Maddox makes the match No DQ and walks off.
- The panel talks about tonight's World Heavyweight Title match now. Santino says Rob Van Dam's experience could be very valuable. Booker says Alberto Del Rio has had a stellar 2013 but predicts RVD will win. Riley also predicts RVD for the win.
We go to the ring and Justin Roberts announces the rules. The winners will face The Shield later on tonight. Out first comes 3MB. It will be Drew McIntyre and Heath Slater in the match. The next team to start the match is Tensai and Brodus Clay. Here they come without Cameron and Naomi.
Clay and Slater go at it to start the match. Tensai comes in and then Drew tags in. Drew ends up leaping over the top rope and taking out Tensai on the floor. Drew brings it back in the ring but Tensai gets the upperhand and a 2 count. More back and forth. Tensai rolls Drew up. 3MB are eliminated. 3MB attack them after the pin but here comes Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro. They hit the ring and take out 3MB before going to work on Tensai. We cut to a commercial.
We come back and Cesaro is working on Tensai. Zeb Colter is at ringside. Clay tags in and runs over Cesaro. Clay with a big overhead suplex and a splash in the corner. Clay goes to the top and nails another big splash but Swagger breaks the pin. Swagger takes out Tensai. Clay drops Swagger. Clay works on Cesaro but Swagger has tagged himself in. Clay tries to pin Cesaro but Swagger applies the ankle lock on Clay and he taps out. Tons of Funk has been eliminated. The Usos come out next.
They all end up out on the floor as The Usos hit the ring. One Uso nails a big splash from the top on Cesaro for a 2 count. More offense from The Usos and a 2 count on Cesaro. Cesaro and Swagger double team in their corner as Swagger tags in. 2 count for Swagger. Cesaro tags back in for more double teaming. Swagger gets in a cheap shot while the referee isn't looking. We cut to another commercial.
Back from the break and Cesaro crotches one of the Usos on the top. The other leaps out and takes him down. Swagger pulls Uso off the top and applies the ankle lock. He taps out and The Usos are eliminated. Out next come Darren Young and Titus O'Neil. Young gets knocked to the floor. Swagger works Titus over in the corner. Swagger counters and nails a big clothesline. And another. Titus with elbows in the corner and a big overhead slam on Swagger. Swagger ducks a big boot and takes out the knee of Titus. Swagger goes for the ankle lock but Young makes the save. Young dumps Cesaro to the floor. Young waits on the tag as Titus crawls over. Young comes in but Swagger immediately applies the ankle lock. Young rolls through and nails the knees to the gut for the win and #1 contendership.
Winners and New #1 Contenders: Darren Young and Titus O'Neil
- We go back to the panel to hype tonight's pay-per-view. They talk about tonight's main event for the WWE Title. Santino picks Orton, Booker predicts Bryan, Riley predicts Orton. Mathews thanks his panel and that's it.