Their main event fight lasted less than a round, but the war Robert Whittaker and Derek Brunson provided for the Melbourne, Australia crowd was one they will never forget. Whittaker survived the early onslaught by Brunson, recovering and finishing him to earn his fifth consecutive win at UFC Fight Night 101 Saturday night.
Whittaker, a former winner of The Ultimate Fighter, is unbeaten in five fights at middleweight since moving up to the division. Brunson, though, got the better of the first exchange before falling victim to the Aussie inside Rod Laver Arena.
The card featured several decisions, but Tyson Pedro was able to earn a "Performance of the Night" bonus thanks to his submission of Khalil Rountree. Whittaker and had a performance bonus, while he shared "Fight of the Night" with Brunson.
* Robert Whittaker def. Derek Brunson via TKO (strikes) at 4:07 of Round 1
* Andrew Holbrook def. Jake Matthews via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
* Omari Akhmedov def. Kyle Noke via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
* Alex Volkanovski def. Yasuke Kasuya via TKO (strikes) at 2:06 of Round 2
* Tyson Pedro def. Khalil Rountree via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:07 of Round 1
* Danielle Taylor def. Seo Hee Ham via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
* Dan Kelly def. Chris Camozzi via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 30-27)
* Damien Brown def. Jon Tuck via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
* Jonathan Meunier def. Richard Walsh via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
* Ben Nguyen def. Geane Herrera via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
* Jason Knight def. Dan Hooker via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)
* Marlon Vera def. Ning Guangyou via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Jenel Lausa def. Yao Zhikui via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)