Rafael dos Anjos staked his claim as the number-one welterweight contender with a unanimous decision win (50-45 x3) over former champion Robbie Lawler in the main event of UFC Winnipeg. Dos Anjos, the former lightweight champion, has now won three straight fights since moving up to 170 pounds and will likely get a shot at welterweight champion Tyron Woodley in his next fight.
Dos Anjos did a great job landing early leg kicks on Lawler, which paid dividends later in the fight. Lawler had flashes where he blitzed dos Anjos, but the Brazilian veteran was able to weather the storm. When Lawler slowed down, dos Anjos continued to put the pressure on him by walking him down and landing strikes often to earn the decision win. After the fight, dos Anjos made his case for a crack at the belt.
"In my opinion I just beat the toughest guy in the division I think I deserve it because of my history," dos Anjos said in his post-fight interview. "I have been in the UFC 10 years already and I think I did enough to deserve the title shot."
Full results from the event can be found below:
- Rafael dos Anjos def. Robbie Lawler via unanimous decision (50-45 x3)
- Josh Emmett def. Ricardo Lamas via TKO at 4:33 of Round 1
- Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Mike Perry via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Glover Teixeira def. Misha Cirkunov via TKO at 2:45 of Round 1
- Jan Blachowicz def. Jared Cannonier via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Julian Marquez def. Darren Stewart via submission (RNC) at 2:14 of Round 2
- Chad Laprise def. Galore Bofando via TKO at 4:10 of Round 1
- Nordine Taleb def. Danny Roberts via KO at 0:59 of Round 1
- John Makdessi def. Abel Trujillo via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
- Alessio Di Chirico def. Oluwale Bamgbose via KO at 2:14 of Round 2
- Jordan Mein def. Erick Silva via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27 x2)