Tonight's show will be a taped special featuring three of the biggest Takeover matches from 2019, including the first-ever women's WarGames match. There will also be the reveal of the NXT 2019 Year-End Award winners and the 2020 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic teams.
This post will not be updated with coverage of the older pre-taped content, but we will keep it updated with the winners of the Year-End Awards, the teams for the 2020 Dusty Classic, and any other new content that airs.
Tonight's NXT episode starts at 8pm ET on the USA Network. Stay tuned for updates, and be sure to discuss the show and the past year of NXT in the comments section below.
Happy New Year!
- The first WWE NXT episode of 2020 opens up with a video package on the past year. We go to WWE TV studios with hosts Cathy Kelley, Sam Roberts and Pat McAfee. They begin the show by airing the first of the Top 3 NXT Takeover Matches of the Year. The Fatal 4 Way Ladder Match for the vacant NXT Tag Team Titles at the "Takeover: XXV" event is airing first as the Top 3 Match of the Year. That match featured winners The Street Profits, The Undisputed Era, The Forgotten Sons, and Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch. We see footage from that match and go to commercial.
- Back from the break and they are still replaying the Ladder Match. This was revealed to be Match of the Year #3. The other top two Takeover matches will also air during this episode. They take another break during the Ladder Match replay and come back to the match, then replays. The panel praises The Street Profits. Cathy shows us the nominees for Tag Team of the Year. Sam reveals that NXT Tag Team Champions The Undisputed Era are the winners. We go to a video of Kyle O'Reilly, Bobby Fish, NXT North American Champion Roderick Strong and NXT Champion Adam Cole walking out to the ring at the empty NXT Arena from Full Sail University. NXT General Manager William Regal is in the ring with two golden bell plaques. O'Reilly talks about how it should be Collective of the Year because any combination of the group could be tag team of the year. Fish and O'Reilly take the plaques from Regal as he makes his exit and their music hits. The Undisputed Era raises their titles in the air as we go to commercial.
- Back from the break and it's time for the Male Competitor of the Year Award. Pat leads us to a video on the nominees. NXT Champion Adam Cole is the winner. We go back to the NXT Arena as The Undisputed Era returns to the ring. NXT General Manager William Regal is waiting with the golden bell plaque. He hands it over and exits as Cole starts bragging on his year, saying he had the best November in all of WWE. Cole says he will win the same award in 2020. Cole says he'd like to say he's shocked and proud, but he's not because this award belongs to a guy like him. The music hits as The Undisputed Era raises their awards in the air, Strong with his title in the air. We go right to a video on the Female Competitor of the Year nominees. The panel discusses the NXT women's division in 2019. Cathy announces the winner and it's Shayna Baszler. We see Baszler, Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke walking to the ring in the empty NXT Arena. Baszler says she's the most dominant champion NXT has ever seen, no... that WWE has ever seen, and just because she lost the title doesn't mean she will be slowing down. The NXT Horsewomen exit the ring and head to the back as we go back to the panel for talk on Baszler's NXT Women's Title reign and more.
- Back from a break and we get a look at nominees for Rivalry of the Year. Johnny vs. Adam Cole is the winner. We go back to the NXT Arena and out comes Gargano to join Regal. The NXT Champion is out next as his music hits. Regal hands their plaques over. Gargano gives his speech first and Cole interrupts, saying he won the rivalry. Cole threatens Gargano and Gargano taunts him, daring him to strike first. Cole is too professional for that, plus Regal gets in between them. We go back to the panel. Cathy leads us to the first-ever women's WarGames match back at the "Takeover: WarGames 2019" event in November. This is revealed as the Match of the Year #2, out of the three airing tonight. This match saw Team Ripley (Rhea Ripley, Candice LeRae, Tegan Nox, Dakota Kai) defeat Team Baszler (then-NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler, Bianca Belair, Io Shirai, NXT UK Women's Champion Kay Lee Ray), after Kai turned heel. Nox was unable to compete because of this. We get a replay of the match and go back to commercial during this.
- Back from the commercial and we get more footage from the women's WarGames match. They show the rest of the match and go back to the panel. Pat says the women stole the show that night. Cathy shows us nominees for Future Star of the Year now. Sam reveals Dakota Kai as the winner. We see Kai walking to the ring to accept her plaque from Regal. Kai says she's known this about herself for some time and those who voted for her, you're just late to the party. Kai says she makes her own rules now, then exits the ring. We go back to commercial.
- Back from the break and they announce the tag teams for the 2020 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic - NXT Tag Team Champions Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish of The Undisputed Era, Wesley Blake and Steve Cutler of The Forgotten Sons, Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne, Kushida and a mystery partner, James Drake and Zack Gibson of the Grizzled Young Veterans, NXT UK Tag Team Champions Wolfgang and Mark Coffey of Gallus, Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner of Imperium, Mark Andrews and Flash Morgan Webster. Cathy reveals the Takeover of the Year Award - WarGames 2019. We see highlights from that event in November. Cathy leads us to nominees for the Breakout Star of the Year Award. Keith Lee is the winner. We cut to a backstage segment with Triple H introducing Lee. Lee takes his plaque and thanks everyone. Lee goes on and says we haven't seen anything yet.
- Back from the break and Sam reveals the winner for the Match of the Year Award - Gargano vs. Cole in a 2 of 3 Falls Match at the "Takeover: XXV" event, which Cole won to capture the NXT Title. We get a replay of that match. We go back to the panel after seeing the finish of Cole vs. Gargano in New York. It's time for the Overall Competitor of the Year Award. NXT Champion Adam Cole gets the win. We go back to the NXT Arena and The Undisputed Era is out to the ring once again. Cole goes on about how his group is nothing but winners. Cole keeps putting his team over and stresses that they're only getting started. The Undisputed Era stands tall in the ring and continues to brag in the empty arena as the first NXT episode of 2020 goes off the air.
2019 NXT YEAR-END AWARDS - CATEGORIES & WINNERS (Nominees elsewhere on the site)
Winners were chosen by fans online.
Overall Competitor of the Year
* NXT Champion Adam Cole
Male Competitor of the Year
* NXT Champion Adam Cole
Female Competitor of the Year
* Shayna Baszler
Tag Team of the Year
* NXT Tag Team Champions The Undisputed Era (Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish)
Breakout Star of the Year
* Keith Lee
Future Star of the Year
* Dakota Kai
Match of the Year
* Johnny Gargano vs. winner Adam Cole (2 of 3 Falls for the Vacant NXT Title, Takeover: New York)
Rivalry of the Year
* Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole
Takeover of the Year
* Takeover: WarGames 2019
* NXT also aired a countdown of the Top 3 Matches of the Year: Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch vs. The Undisputed Era vs. The Forgotten Sons vs. The Street Profits (Vacant NXT Tag Team Titles Ladder Match, Takeover: XXV) at #3, the first-ever Women's WarGames match with winners Team Ripley vs. Team Baszler at #2, Johnny Gargano vs. winner Adam Cole (2 of 3 Falls for the NXT Title, Takeover: New York) at #1.